Page - Home
ECOLOGICAL CHRISTIAN ORGANISATION
Ecological Christian Organisation (ECO) is an indigenous, Non Governmental Organisation registered in Uganda as S.5914/5509 and working towards realization of sustained livelihoods for marginalized, under-served and vulnerable groups in Uganda. Since its inception in 2005, ECO has implemented a varied portfolio of projects in the greater Karamoja region, the Abertine rift and the L. Victoria basin. The current initiatives are focusing on natural resource governance, climate change and livelihoods, and ecosystem management and restoration.
ECO’s mandate spans the entire country which, despite its abundant and quality natural resources, has a high proportion of food-insecure people living below the poverty line and contributing significantly to environmental degradation. There are, however, considerable opportunities and possibilities for economic growth and attainment of national development goals and global sustainable development goals, particularly those relating to poverty, hunger and environmental sustainability.
ECOSYSTEMS MANAGEMENT & RESTORATION
RESILIENCE & CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION
NATURAL RESOURCES GOVERNANCE
NEWS & ARTICLES
OPINION: Climate Change Poses Insecurity, Conflict Threat in Karamoja and Neighboring Regions Phillo Aryatwijuka The threat climate change poses to insecurity, conflict and communities’ livelihood is more real than ever for a country where over 80% of the population is totally dependent on agriculture as their source of livelihood and the other 20% also dependent
Water, Water Everywhere, nor Any Drop to Drink; an old tale still current By Juliet Katusiime Zizinga This line from the “Rhime of an ancient mariner” of 1797-8 by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, is as old as it is current. The discussions on water resources have for long taken a so technical path that we have
We had no idea of beekeeping and selling honey until ECO and BEE House Products Uganda Limited trained us. From the trainings we have learnt how to keep bees and harvest good quality honey without a lot of smoke and without pollen. We were trained about the cleanliness of the containers and personal cleanliness. Our group harvest was good, collected at ECO offices 22kg of honey and sold to Bee House Products at 88,000/=
HoPE has taught us to make energy saving jikos [stoves], with no smoke. Since I started using the energy saving jiko, my husband can stay longer in the house, because there is no smoke that will drive him away. He can even stay with me longer in the kitchen as he waits for food and keeps me company. Energy saving jikos has increased love in our families.”
Since I was a child, I have gone fishing, but the population increased,fishing practices worsened, and fish reduced. However, HoPE trained fishermen to practice good fishing methods, they got rid of under-sized fishing nets and also trained BMUs to supervise the fishing activities, and now there are fish. HoPE caged a breeding area for fish. With the help of the bylaw that governs the breeding area, fish have increased in number. This is visible because fish are even seen playing and jumping around the lakeshores…”