Ecological Christian Organization (ECO) is a national, non-partisan, Non-Governmental Organization in Uganda. The head offices are located on Plot 19A, Naguru Vale Road, Naguru Kampala-Uganda. The organization aims to improve the quality of life and sustainable livelihoods of the vulnerable groups in Uganda while building a sustainable future. Find out more at www.ecouganda.org
About the Project
Ecological Christian Organization (ECO) working in collaboration with the Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF), Nature Uganda (NU) and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is implementing a 4-year European Union funded project titled ‘Restoring and Conserving degraded fragile ecosystems for improved Community Livelihoods among the Refugee and Host Communities of West Nile Region and the mid-Albertine Rift.’ The project aims to improve livelihoods and ecosystems resilience to impacts of refugees and climate change in refugee hosting landscapes for the two regions. One of the project interventions implemented by ECO in Terego and Yumbe districts is woodland restoration.
The project also targets to support refugee and host communities with various nature-based Income Generation Activities (IGAs) to reduce sole dependence on the fragile ecosystems and create community incentives to rehabilitate the degraded environments. Beekeeping is one of the most prominent enterprises proposed by the identified project beneficiaries. The apiaries are expected to generate income for the communities and act as deterrents to increased woodland degradation. On the other hand, beekeeping remains a highly favored, wildlife-friendly enterprise owing to the value and importance attached to its products. Due to the low upfront costs associated with beekeeping, communities are eager to adopt this enterprise.
Scope of work for the Apiary training
This project requires the expertise of an apiculturist to champion the training of the farmers in bee keeping in the restored woodland sites. Specifically, the Apiculture expert will cover the following modules among others;
- Introduction to beekeeping and its importance
- Bee products & uses
- Types of beehives (pros and cons), beehive tools
- Bee forage and environmental conservation
- Apiary sitting and site selection
- Life cycle of bees, colonization, and baiting
- Management of beehives, hive inspection, safety & hygiene
- Honey harvesting (& other bee products) and storage
- Pests, predators & diseases and their control (including making bio-pesticides)
Duration: The expert will use the 30 days to;
- Prepare training materials on Apiary farming.
- Conduct practical and theoretical sessions on all sub themes (on specified dates as per the allocated program by ECO).
- Prepare a training report and submit it to the project Forester.
- Visit the identified woodland sites and perform a site suitability assessment for bee keeping.
- Prepare a site suitability report and submit it to the project Forester.
Note: Conduct a follow up visit during the swarming season (January – February 2023) to help the farmers with colonization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal expert for this training should hold at least a minimum of a Diploma in Agroforestry, Bachelors in agriculture/ apiculture and 3 years of working experience in apiary enterprise development and apiculture related trainings/
- Geographical knowledge of Terego and Yumbe is an added advantage
- Fluent and excellent verbal and written proficiency in English and at least one local language widely used in project area i.e., Lugbara, Aringa, Kiswahili and Ma’di are recommended
How to apply
The deadline for submission is Friday 30th September, 2022, at 5:00 pm Ugandan time.
The Expert should email a cover letter, professional fee per day, curriculum vitae in English. Scan/photo copy of necessary academic documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com , stating the position in the subject line of the email as “Apiary Expert’’
Hand-deliver to ECO-Arua Office in Arua city to the attention of Anguonzi Ronald -project forester west Nile.
ECO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. O